Room to Breathe
This client’s large residential home was being designed from the ground up, with a heavy focus on accommodating a theater that their grandchildren, children and family could enjoy together. Our client was interested in creating a comfortable space with a large screen, great sound and unobstructed views. We had an optimal size space to work with; the room was 20 feet wide x 34 feet long with 11 foot ceilings, a great size room. The objective was to seat 10 people comfortably with a bar counter in the rear for an additional seating and in-room dining area.
Working with the spacious dimensions available, we designed the seating layout in 2 rows of 5 seats with connecting arms. You enter the room from the rear by stepping up 2 steps / 12 inches onto a 12 foot platform, then 2 steps down to ground level which houses the front row, at an optimal 16 feet from the screen. The room was treated with staggered stud construction and an acoustical wall absorption system integrated into the millwork.
* Excludes; Architect, Interior Designer, Carpenter & Furnishings.
(1) Digital Projection Titan HD1080p 3 Chip DLP, HD1080p Projector
(1) Digital Projection Titan Long Throw Lens 2.3-3.6 throw
(1) Digital Projection Mercury Ceiling Mount Bracket
(1)Krell Showcase DVD Progressive Scan Videophile DVD Player
(1) DirecTV HR20 HDTV Satellite Receiver with Built in DVR
(1) DirecTV HD Satellite Receiver
(1) Stewart Filmscreen 123”” Luxus Deluxe HD ScreenWall
(1) Krell Showcase Processor 7.1 channel processing with 8 channel equalizer
(1) Krell Showcase 7 Amplifier 7 channels x 125 watts
(2) B&W Signature 8 Left, Center & Right channel In-Wall Loudspeakers
(6) B&W Signature 7 NT 2-Way In-Wall Speakers for side & rear EX channels
(6) B&W BBW Metal Back Box for Signature 7 side & rear EX speakers
(2) B&W Nautilus ASW850 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofers, 12”” Kevlar cone, Matrix enclosure
(1) Crestron STX1700C 2-Way Wireless Panel (for wireless global control)
(1) Crestron STRFGWX 2-Way RF Gateway
(1) Crestron CP2E Control System
(6) Crestron CNXIRP CN IR Probe without diode
(1) Crestron CNPWS-75 Power Supply - 75 Watt
(1)Middle Atlantic ERK40 Rack System
Video is stellar with a Digital Projection Titan 1080P Video Projector. The projector is hidden in the rear soffit and kept cool with an Active Thermal Management cooling system. It resides quietly in a soffit 30 feet away from the Stewart 123” Luxus Deluxe Wide Screen with horizontal masking system. The screen was the perfect size to captivate the crowd with stunning 1080 P HD video, DVD, and of course, video games which the kids can play in house or live over the internet against their friends.
A Krell Pre-Amp Processor and Krell high current amps powered 7 channels. The speakers are B&W Signature 8’s for the left, center and right channels and Signature 7’s for the sides and rears (6 total) along with 2 Nautilus powered subwoofers that rock the space. Because the room is such a nice size, we were able to have good distance from the sides and rears, which created a very open realistic sound field - with special thanks to legendary Krell processing.
The room is controlled with a Crestron ST1700X 2-way Wireless touch panel and control system, which provides an easy operating experience that even guests can use to operate the theater system simply and easily.
A six-zone Lutron GRAFIK Eye system was implemented to handle the lighting control. Video source components are housed locally in the theater. They include DVD, Sony PS2 & X-Box. The remaining equipment is housed in a Middle Atlantic ERK Rack system which resides in a mechanical room behind the theater along with the whole house audio system racks. An Active Thermal Management system was used to cool the soffit mounted projector, as well as the local source equipment built into the side of the rear bar cabinetry.
Our client and their children use the room every night and say it gives them a great venue to enjoy family time together.